Priory – the history

The name ‘Priory’ originated from an Augustinian priory that was founded in the 12th century by Peter Corbizun and was later adapted by Peter de Studley and become a priory used by Augustinian Canons.
When the priory was closed in 1536 (at the Dissolution of the Monasteries under Henry VIII) it housed the prior and eight religious brethren. The priory and manor of Studley were granted to Sir Edmund Knightley, who used the buildings as a source of stone for other buildings.
Nothing remains today apart from the use of the name priory in a few local building names such as Priory Farm which, now much modernised, embodies a few fragmentary portions of a conventional building and is a Grade II listed building.